Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Value of Silence at Business Meetings - the Samurai Way

I often am reminded of how much some people like to hear their own voices at meetings. Not me. If I can, I want to go through meetings and be completely silent unless I am absolutely sure that I understand all facets of the problem(s) being discussed and there is something that is urgently pressing that I feel that I must say.... To be quite dramatic... It is like the wat a samurai would do things... They'd shut up unless they have something important to say.
Zatoichi - Samurai Fight Scene
 Hopefully, against all odds, what I did have to say, when I finally said it, would be relevant.




Otherwise, I want to be like samurai. 


According to ancient folklore, the samurai weren't big talkers. They didn't say too much.


Perhaps they kept their mouths shut because they already knew the score or perhaps they kept silent because they didn't know fully comprehend the subject at hand.


I suspect it to be a bit of both.


Either way, it seems to me a good way to be.


NOTE: Many regular readers have been asking for more great Japanese cinema. We haven't had any since the earthquake and tsunami, but here's some of the best scenes from Zatoichi a 1989 samurai film about a samurai who is blind. This is an awesome film. I will search for an English subtitled version and place it online if I can. Until then, enjoy!
SATOICHI



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.